Now that summer has arrived and the weather is hotting up, many of us are heading out to our backyards for cookouts with our friends and family. It’s easy to attract unwanted stinging insects as well as other pests. As an ethical pest control company serving both North Carolina and Virginia, we realize the arrival of summer means these pests can hinder your enjoyment of the warm weather and lazing by the pool. We’ve compiled some tips on how to avoid encounters with wasps, hornets and other stinging insects:
- If you are hosting a cookout, be sure to store food inside until it’s ready to be served. Once eaten ensure you clean up immediately.
- Keep trash in containers with tightly-fitting lids at least 20 feet away from people.
- Don’t wear brightly colored clothing that may appear like real flowers to stinging insects.
- Avoid wearing sweet-smelling perfumes, shampoos and conditioners; they smell like flowers to yellow jackets and wasps.
- Cover up whenever possible this includes shoes, long sleeves and pants.
- If a yellow jacket, hornet or wasp drops by your event, do not swat or try to kill it; it may become aggravated and attack.
- If you discover a nest on your property, DO NOT try and remove it on your own; contact the professionals.
If you are still struggling to reduce stinging insects in your backyard and they are still crashing your outdoor events, contact us. We offer effective stinging insect control for homeowners as part of our IfItCrawlsCall Guarantee.