The time of year is nearing when rodents and bugs are looking for a place to camp out for the winter. Which means they will invade your home as a nice warm retreat. In order to pest proof your home and keep you pest free, we would like to offer some seasonal tips to the local residents of North Carolina and Virginia in pest proofing their homes in order to keep the bugs out.
- Replace any weather stripping around doors and windows and repair any loose mortar around basement foundation and windows.
- Caulk any cracks and crevices around windows, electrical outlets and baseboards.
- Potential entry points such as clothes dryer vents, basement window frames, plumbing or electrical entrances should also be caulked or screened. These are common areas for rodents, ants and spiders.
- Crawlspace vents should be equipped with tight fitting screens. Repairing any damaged screens which may be torn. Additionally sealing off any cat or dog doors as they extend are providing an open invitation for pests to come in.
- Repair any leaking pipes and placing small screens over floor drains to prevent pests from crawling in.
- Insects like damp conditions, so in preparation for winter run a dehumidifier in the basement ensuring it is well ventilated and dry.
- Don’t store items in the attic in cardboard boxes. This will be easy for pests to get into and provide a nice warm home for them. Store items in plastic boxes instead.
- Store firewood away at least 20 feet away from the home and 5 feet off the ground.
- Keep garbage cans covered and ensure they are emptied regularly. Additionally do not store them directly on the ground, store them raised on blocks.
- Don’t encourage feeding of pests by cleaning up any crumbs that are dropped immediately and ensuring food is stored in the sealed containers.
- Keep tree branches and shrubbery well trimmed and away from the house.
- Repair fascia and sofits and rotted roof shingles as some insects are drawn to rotting wood.
- Minimise the amount of time your garage door is left open which is an open invitation for pests
These pest proofing tips can help eliminate pests as well as well conserve energy in your home. You may still require some professional help and we can give you that peace of mind. Our maintenance programs are covered with our “If It Crawls, Call” guarantee. You have unlimited call outs at no extra charge for anything you see that crawls as part of our household pest programs. If you need us one time, then we’re there to solve your pest problems too and can give you some free impartial advice with your pest problem.
If you require any commercial or home pest control services in Elizabeth City, Currituck, Virginia Beach, Chesapeake or any of the surrounding areas, then give us a call on (252) 480-2889 / (252) 453-3693 or (757) 729-1744.