Thanksgiving is nearly here and you’re probably prepping the turkey and all the trimmings, getting ready for a big family dinner. Probably the last thing on your mind is pantry pests, which includes the Indian Meal Moth, Cigarette Beetle and Saw Grained Tooth Beetle.
You may have already come across a pantry moth or beetle or what we term as pantry pests, in your cabinets whilst reaching for some flour to do some seasonal baking.
What are pantry pests?
Pantry pests are called just that because they like to feed on dried stored products such as flour, cereal, pasta, dried nuts and fruit, crackers and bread.
Pests are pretty much constant throughout the year, some more so than others. So now that the weather is cooling and you’re spending more time indoors, what can you look for to avoid pantry moths and other pantry pests?
- Wipe up any spills or crumbs from counters, floors, shelves and table tops.
- When shopping watch out for damaged packaging and only buy items which show no signs of damage.
- Store food in airtight containers, glass would be better than plastic. Not only keeping pantry pests out, but rodents as well.
- Ensure the garbage is emptied on a regular basis in a sealed container.
- To deter pantry pests, add a bay leaf to containers of dry foods like rice and flour. The scent repels them.
- Ensure any moisture sites like leaking pipes are repaired.
- Install door sweeps.
- Repair any damaged screens on doors and vents.
- Ensure any baking ingredients which are being used are within the expiration date.
If you would like peace of mind for pantry moths as well as all round seasonal pest control, and you live in either northeast North Carolina or southeast Virginia then contact us for some professional exterminator services.
Four Seasons | HomeTown provides pest control services in Dare, Currituck, Camden, Hyde, and Pasquotank counties up through to Newport News, Chesapeake, Gloucester, Hampton and Virginia Beach, Portsmouth, Suffolk and Williamsburg. Contact us today to find out more about our effective extermination control services and other pest control services available in your area.